Movie Freaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Careful - Guy Maddin (1992)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

Careful - Guy Maddin (1992) Empty
PostSubject: Careful - Guy Maddin (1992)   Careful - Guy Maddin (1992) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 1:21 am

Careful
From Guy Maddin

Careful - Guy Maddin (1992) 3760145250087

Careful - Guy Maddin (1992) Thimdbci6

Quote :
In the remote Alpine village of Tolzbad at the turn of the century, people talk quietly and restrain their movements lest avalanches come and kill them. This atmosphere lends itself to repressed emotions - shown through the parallel stories of butler student Johann lusting after his mother (an old flame of the mysterious Count Knotkers) and Klara's attraction to her father (who lusts after his other daughter), leading to duels and suicidal plunges galore. All this is shot in the style of an early German sound film, complete with intertitles, deliberately crackly soundtrack and 'hand-tinted' colour effects

My first Guy Maddin movie, and for sure not the last (my god, I wonder if I will have enough of a life time to see all these great rare and genius pieces out there)
This is trully one of the most original movie I have ever seen. It took me about half an hour to totally get into it cause it is so unic and like anything I have seen before. But then it grabbed me, the story is really nice, the fantasy fairy tale vibe, the colors, the fake landscape, the music, the dark humour (some of the quotes are hilarious), everything is just a pure pleisure. You can really see that everything was carefully thought and that the director put all his heart to it.
A strange but Beautifull movie!

Careful - Guy Maddin (1992) 10

Quote :
Guy Madden is almost like the David Lynch of Canada. His films have a look all of their own; blending surrealism with German style expressionism. The grainy slightly faded style of his films, make them appear from another era. "Careful" is filmed in a bright Technicolor style that's visually dazzling. The film contains Icelandic folk lore with dark humor. The story concerns a town living in the mountains. They have to watch their every move so they don't cause an avalanche. So they try to keep quiet and not make much noise out of fear. Many of the characters have strange incestuous desires that lead them to insanity. Especially Yohan and his fantasies about his mother. Yuck! This is one strange film, with picturesque landscapes that look like they jumped out of a Salvador Dali painting. If you are looking for a disturbing candy colored dark comedy, careful you don't pass this opportunity up.

Back to top Go down
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=24908114
labrat
Devil’s Advocate
Devil’s Advocate
labrat

PostSubject: Re: Careful - Guy Maddin (1992)   Careful - Guy Maddin (1992) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 9:20 am

looks great!

and Guy Madden is a great director...

yep, one more added to my Must-See-ASAP-list... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

PostSubject: Re: Careful - Guy Maddin (1992)   Careful - Guy Maddin (1992) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 11:29 am

Are there any in particular you would advise from Guy Maddin?
I already have The Saddest Music in the world and Cowards Bend the Knee which i haven't seen yet but I see he made many others...
Back to top Go down
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=24908114
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Careful - Guy Maddin (1992)   Careful - Guy Maddin (1992) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Careful - Guy Maddin (1992)
Page 1 of 1