Movie Freaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997) Empty
PostSubject: Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997)   Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997) Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 12:32 am

Gummo
From Harmony Korine

IMDB

Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997) Gummo

Quote :
Lonely residents of a tornado-stricken Ohio town wander the deserted landscape trying to fulfill their boring, nihilistic lives

Although IMDB classify it as a drama, I dont think it is really a drama, more a Black Comedy (Black comedy is actually listed in the others genre on IMDB). But it is so sick that most people would say it is a drama. But it is not Razz (same with Festen, yes I'm still convinced that Festen is NOT a drama tongue )
How to summarise Gummo: it's Larry Clark meets Freaks Laughing (and with a little touch of Tarnation and container for those of you who know what I'm talking about Razz )
The director is actually the writer of Kids from Larry Clark Wink
Loved it yess
Not for all taste, defenetly ruff, but funny and weird, all what I love Twisted Evil

One I will for sure remember yess (how can I not Laughing )

Watch it! (only if you like weird movies and very dark sense of humour that is Laughing )

note8

Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997) GummoTubColor

What follows contains spoilers but summarize quite good what the atmosphere of the movie is

Quote :
Small towns are strange places. People always seem weirder and do crazier things in places like Xenia, Ohio. The Harmony Korine movie “Gummo” totes itself as being about Xenia and how it never recovered from a tornado. But the film is about more than that. It's a piece of fiction that could play as a documentary for most small cities.

The film mostly centers around two young trouble makers - Solomon and Tummler. They basically ride their bikes around town all day looking for cats to kill and glue to sniff. They sell the cats to an obviously corrupt butcher and use the money to buy a mentally handicapped prostitute. And lots of strange characters, some having to do with these two and others not seeming to have anything to do with the movie at all, are intercut between all of this.

It seems Korine tries to go for the freak show laughs here instead of trying to tell a realistic story like his screenplay for “Kids.” Some scenes work really well, others don't and are a bit uncomfortable.

Underneath it all lies the true story of little towns. These places are boring miserable places where nothing ever happens and there's nothing to do all day. Poor unsupervised kids with no place to go, trying to create their own fun can equal some really scary outcomes.

The only parental figures in the film are either getting drunk and arm wrestling each other, trying to molest young girls or playfully pointing a gun at their son to make him smile. When you see this, you start to realize why these kids are so messed up.

To me, the arm wrestling scene was one of the best scenes and it kind of sums up the film. A group of older people are hanging around in a kitchen drinking beer and taking turns arm wrestling. A guy that reminded me of Toby Keith is the biggest person present and they match him up against an extremely short African American midget. The little person wins and “Toby” goes crazy and smashes the table. Later “Toby” has a chair and is pretend wrestling it as everyone there cheers him on. It's a very odd moment.

There are lots of other surrealistic moments here that seem either too real to be made up or too fake to be real, if that makes any sense. A boy dressed as a rabbit comes and goes through the film. In one scene he stumbles across two other boys playing with fake guns. The foul-mouthed boys with guns pretend to shoot the “rabbit” all the while screaming expletives. The “rabbit” plays along, falling to the ground, and for a second you think he must have had a heart attack or something because he just lays there as they check his pockets for money. In yet another scene we see Solomon having a bath. While he is in the tub, which is full of brown water, his mother serves him spaghetti on a TV tray and washes his hair. It is a sweet cinematic moment that would fit perfectly into any heartwarming picture.

Having graduated high school in a small town, I can verify this is an accurate portrayal of people in a place like it. I had distant relatives and neighbors like this. I saw regular weirdoes who walked or rode their bikes around town all day that were a lot like the cast. These places are perfect breeding grounds for ignorance and mischief.

Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997) Gummo

Back to top Go down
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=24908114
labrat
Devil’s Advocate
Devil’s Advocate
labrat

PostSubject: Re: Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997)   Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997) Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 7:53 am

sounds cool... will check this one out!!! yess
Back to top Go down
Mataklap
Menace II Society
Menace II Society
Mataklap

PostSubject: Re: Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997)   Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Definitely gets under your skin, this one. yess
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mataklap
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997)   Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gummo - Harmony Korine (1997)
Page 1 of 1